Windows 8.1 and 8 introduced a new kind of account type to us: Microsoft account as an addition to the traditional local account. Now we can either add a new local account or Microsoft account in Windows 8.1 and 8.
In this article, to help you better understanding Windows 8.1/8 accounts, we will go through the two types of account: Microsoft account and local account in Windows 8.1/8 and how to switch to account in Windows 8.1/8 in detail.
The Recommended Features of Microsoft account in Windows 8.1/8
1. Your computer is connected to the cloud when you sign in with a Microsoft account.
2. Share photos, documents, and other files from SkyDrive (OneDrive), Facebook, and Flicker etc. without signing in to each one.
3. Settings and contents are synced up with your Windows Live account enable you to get the updated content and settings when you login to your Windows 8.1/8 account from a different device.
4. Sign in to apps and services using your Windows Live ID for authentication automatically.
The Recommended Features of Local account in Windows 8.1/8
1. A local account enables you to access to your computer.
2. A local account as administrator can have complete control over the PC, and change any settings and access all of the files and programs stored on the PC.
3. A local account as standard users can use most software and change system settings that don't affect other users or the security of this PC.
How to Switch from Local Account to Microsoft Account?
Step 1: Press Windows + C to open the Charm bar and click "Change PC Settings" to open the "PC settings".
Step 2: Click "Users" on the left pane, then click "Switch to a Microsoft account". Type your local account password and click "Next".
Step 3: Enter your LIVE ID or your Hotmail account. If you don't have one, click "Sign up for a new email address" to create one. After that enter the require information to set up a Microsoft account and click "Next".
Step 4: Enter security verification info which will help you recover your password and keep your account more secure.
Step 5: Click "finish" and now you are logged in with your Microsoft account.
How to Switch from Microsoft Account to Local Account?
Step 1: Open Charms Bar, and click "Settings charm", then "More PC setting".
Step 2: Click "Users" and then click "Switch to a local account".
Step 3: Enter the password (the same to the password for your email address), and click "Next".
Step 4: Enter your local account and password and now you are logged in with your local account.
Switch between Windows 8.1/8 accounts is easy following those steps above. In addition, for security reasons, you'd better create a password for your Windows 8 account. It is a recommended practice to protect your personal information but also has the potential risks of forgetting Windows 8 password. If you forgot Windows 8.1 and 8 password, you can turn to Windows password recovery, it will recover your Windows 8 password in minutes no matter how long or complicated it is.
Download SmartKey Windows Password Recovery Ultimate: